Thursday, March 31, 2011

We All Have a New "Favorite" Golfer to Root For Now

Earlier this week, 19-year-old Japanese sensation Ryo Ishikawa announced that he would be donating all of his winnings during the 2011 PGA and Japan Tour seasons to disaster relief efforts for his native Japan.

It merits repeating.  ALL of his winnings.

Ishikawa, who made headlines last year after shooting a final round 58 to win The Crowns in Japan, made roughly $1.8 million in earnings between the two tours last season.  Should he maintain that level of play (or exceed it, as many experts believe), Ishikawa could be donating around $2 million to help his country recover in wake of the March 11th earthquake.  Ishikawa has also pledged to donate $1,200 for every birdie he makes this season.  Considering that he made 341 birdies last season, this could bring the total amount donated to about $2.5 million.

Something else worth repeating.  Ryo Ishikawa is NINETEEN.  How many 19 year-olds do you know that would do anything remotely similar to this, regardless of their financial status?  I know I don't know any.

With The Masters coming up, we should all be pulling for the flamboyantly dressed, crazy-haired Japan native to win (literally) for his country.

EDIT: I'm gonna try something different, and let you guys know what I'm listening to as I'm writing.  Think of it as a way to get to know me better.

What I'm listening to:  Panic! At The Disco -- Nearly Witches (Ever Since We Met...).  Wacky, fun song.

2 comments:

  1. I heard this yesterday and was really happy to hear what he is doing. Personally, I feel that more athletes should take this route and donate their winnings to a great cause. I applaud Iskikawa and hope to see that he does great this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is great that he decided to do this for his native country. He had a great year last year and hope he continues to do so this year to help Japan recover from the devastating quake.

    ReplyDelete