Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bracketology 101

No.  Not THAT bracket.

For golf nerds like me, it's one of the most exciting events of the season.  It's the one event in the season where the competitors aren't only playing against the course, they're actually going one-on-one with their fellow competitor.  It's the Accenture Match Play, the first World Golf Championship event of the year.

The top 64 players in the World Golf Rankings will be in attendance, trying to claim the title of Match Play Champion.  What could possibly be better?

For all you Tiger Woods fans out there hoping that this will be the tournament that he'll finally break through, don't hold your breath.  Though I do like his chances against his first opponent (Denmark's Thomas Bjorn), and in the next couple of matches that follow (with possible opponents including Geoff Ogilvy, Padraig Harrington, Dustin Johnson, and Bubba Watson), I don't see Tiger making it to the Final Four.  Unfortunately for Tiger, he'll most likely have to get through Englishman Paul Casey to get to the Final Four.  Casey has owned this tournament in year's past (reaching the Finals in the previous two events), making the task that much more difficult for Tiger.

Who do I see winning?  While the fan in me is pulling for a Final between Tiger and Rickie Fowler (I'm a sucker for the outfits), I ultimately see Jim Furyk winning.  The defending FedEx Cup Champion has the accuracy and the ball-striking ability to put pressure on anyone he squares off against.  I believe Furyk will take home the Match Play crown on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment